Sunday 31 January 2016

THE FANTASTIC WORLD OF HARUKI MURAKAM - Blog Marathon #14



THE FANTASTIC WORLD OF HARUKI MURAKAMI

The world of books is quite mysterious. But once you are in, the gates close forever. You will not be able to go out of it, yet you will not feel trapped. And, before you have even explored half, you are no more breathing in this mortal world.

Having entered that wonderful world when I was a little kid, I have been trying to read when I can.
And with no one around to tempt you with different authors, you are doomed. It is like having entered a different world without knowing that language. But, if you will, it will happen.
I turned to the wonderful world of internet to savour my passion.

And one fine day, I came across the author called ‘Haruki Murakami’
It was the year 2014 and I came across a book called ‘Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage’ by ‘Haruki Murakami’ in the newly released column in an online portal.
I have never heard of him previously and as I was in a phase where I was boldly  trying new authors, I decided to pry further.

I googled him and found out more and read some reviews where some people couldn’t stop raving about him. Very few reviews were bad.
I decided to get a book and when I decided to buy the latest one, one thing prevented me from doing it and it was the cost of the book. It was a hardcover, and obviously it cost more. Finally I added the book ‘1Q84’ by him.

The book 1Q84 was originally released in Japanese first, like all his books. It was released as three separate parts, and when the English version was released, the parts were combined and released together. I did not read any reviews of that book beforehand and did not do so until I completed the book two weeks later. Two weeks for a book was awfully a long period for me to complete a book, but I took some well needed breaks in between. The breaks were required for the warmth to spread throughout. I used to sit with the book in my hand, and having completed a chapter or so, I would be staring at a wall or at my roommate, when actually my mind would be processing the book. Even now, when I think about it, I get mesmerized by its verses. The words have a strong effect on you and it will take some time to get you out of the book.
After that, I wanted to read ‘The Norwegian Wood’, because many claimed it to be his best. Who wouldn’t want to read the best?

Norwegian Wood made me a fan of his and there was no looking back after that. After that I had bought 6 more of his novels and one was better than the other.
Some might call his writing weird for he includes some bizarre moments in his characters. But, when you are actually so deep into the book, it goes with the flow and it doesn’t deter you.
If you have not read any book by him, seek for an opportunity to read one and you will know what I have been trying to say in the past few passages.

Books by Haruki Murakami

Hear the Wind

Pinball

A Wild Sheep

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the

Norwegian Wood

Dance Dance Dance       

South of the Border, West of the Sun    

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle       

Sputnik Sweetheart       

Kafka on the Shore        

After Dark

1Q84

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

The Elephant Vanishes

After the Quake

Blind willow, Sleeping woman

The strange library



 #fantastic


This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment