Friday 1 September 2023

Through the glass

The music was playing softly in my ears with the song trying to compete against the voice of the lady near me. Hopefully that is not a matter of confidence because the whole bus was audience to the chatter that was going on about someone in her family. The lady who was listening intently to the conversation was not even blinking her eyes. Has she gone into a sleep with eyes wide open? Or has she gone so deep into the conversation that she has become possessed, one would like to know.
The driver stopped suddenly and the screeching noise of the bus was audible even above the high voice in the sing I was listening. A moment of silence was felt before the banter again. Unable to avoid the background noise I shifted my attention to the outside world. The beginning of the weekend was evident in the way things were moving. Though my inner mind wanted to remind me that I have work the next day, I was immersed I  the collective joy of the weekend the surroundings expressed loudly. 
But, what caught my attention more was the moon that was visible through the old and dusty glass of the bus window. I didn't have to crane my neck to look at it. There it was, the moon almost completely round and big. Though the glass was trying to hide the entire beauty of it, it didn't waver in showing its glory. I couldn't help but stare at the beauty that was displayed. 
I wondered how it would be without the hurdle of the window and to look at it directly against the dark sky. I couldn't wait for the bus to stop and to reach my home. I couldn't wait to enjoy the moon with that one person who I wanted to share everything. 
The music shifted to a slow melody and the journey Though shirt was making me feel happy. The bus reached the destination and I reached home. 
But the thought of the moon disappeared once I entered the place called home. That one person who I wanted to see and feel better was trying to overtake the soreness that I was already feeling. 
With the thought of the moon that looked a little less brighter though the dirty glass, I went to sleep.
And that day, I realized that sometimes,if not most of the times, the view you get standing in a moving crowded bus is better than the one you imagine. Small things are sometimes at a more distant place than we like, and at that time the smaller things giving the smallest possible happiness is better, because ultimately happiness is the goal, and sometimes it is found in us, and not in someone else. 
Tomorrow, I am going to look at the moon and be happy at that moment, and not wait for someone else to make me happy. A lesson learned is a lesson gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment